Sustainable development requires a conscious, active engagement of all citizens (a citizen synergy). Local authorities and community representatives play a central role in the design, promotion and implementation of the Local Action Plan. They together undertake the education of the community on sustainable development and the promotion of sustainable awareness.
ORAMA is a people’s initiative for the achievement of the above goals in Milos.
Ιn order to formulate a Melian Agenda 21, the integrated Action Plan throughout all sectors, our community should address major issues like:
- promoting sustainable land-use planning and management
- sustainable planning of mining activities
- environmentally sound leisure and tourism activities
- sustainable management of major infrastructure projects (water supply resources, sewage, transportation etc.)
- restoration and further sustainable management of sea and marine ecosystem
- promotion and preservation of biotopes
- enhancement and constrained development of villages and rural areas
- protection and promotion of natural beauty sites and cultural heritage
- rational use of geothermal energy of low enthalpy
- promoting public awareness towards sustainability and preservation of our resources
ORAMA welcomes the cooperation of all community members in the improvement of environmental quality in our community.
The Local Council proceeded with the initiation procedures for a local Agenda 21 on December 2003, by approving the establishment of a Local Committee on Sustainable Development.
The committee consists of representatives of Milos’ Municipality, the labor union, major trade and tourism unions and ORAMA. It originally focuses on the introduction of participative and consensus-building procedures for the sustainable development of our island.
Excerpts from the newspaper “ORAMA”, issued periodically by “ORAMA, the Initiative on Sustainable Melian Development”
Contact: Manoussos Droungas
UN Department of Economics and Social Affairs: Full text of the Agenda 21
Wikipedia: Agenda 21
EAP: Environmental Action Program
Calvià Local Agenda 21: Sustainable Development in a Tourism Municipality (Spain)
ICLEI: Local Government for Sustainability
Guide to Implementing Local Environmental Action Programs in Central and Eastern Europe